Sunday 20 January 2013

Where's It All Gone?

 
We all know that time passes faster the older you get, that's very fast for me, but I'm quite shocked that 2012 has flown by already and 2013 is now doing the same. Can you believe there's only 338 days till Christmas?! It's gone so fast I couldn't even find the time to do my yearly round-up of what's been happening around the globe and which politicians were the biggest thieves.
 
All in all, it was a good year, I think. Especially as my hemorrhoids got sorted out once and for all and the old war wound to that bullet grazed testicle, sustained against the Bosch has been quiet of late! Anyway..... 2012 saw many highlights for the people of Blighty.
Who can forget our hosting of the best ever Olympic Games. How they managed to get the Queen to skydive out of that helicopter I'll never know. Personally, I think it was fake, because Liz simply wouldn't of had enough time to get into her seat for the opening ceremony.
 
'Pasty Gate' and 'Pleb Gate' were other corkers. Starbucks defrauding the taxpayer, along with dozens of other high street businesses, not to mention various celebrities like Jimmy Carr and Gary 'boring' Barlow. Tax breaks being given to the richest people in society, whilst everyone else had to tighten their belts another notch.
 
2012 also saw the release of a couple of new movies - blue movies, to be precise. And pretty pathetic they were too. Hulk Hogan pulled off a few moves on some botox'd cougar whilst a chavette judge from Z-Factor proved she has zero talent in all departments. The filthy buggers!!
 
 
 
Other things of a royal 'nature' were the Queen's Jubilee to celebrate her 60 years on the throne, which is a feat in itself - I once spent 2 long hours on the throne due to a slightly iffy chicken curry purchased from the local Chinese takeaway. Also the super-lovely, everybody's-favourite-couple; Kate and Wills announced the forthcoming pitter-patter of tiny feet. Although to be fair I was kind of annoyed at first, as this now completely rules out any chances of Kate and I getting it together. Still, there's always Pippa :) 
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
2012 has been a great year for Mr Heckles - probably one of the best. After making a few resolutions at the start of the year, things motored along swimmingly. Even for a pensioner, life can be stressful, so I decided to eliminate as much of it as possible, strike things off my to-do list, spend less time on the interweb and try to get out-and-about with the local Darby and Joan Club. Simple things I know, but sometimes they're the most rewarding.
 
As a result, just the other day I was trying to pick out my own highlights of 2012. It took a while, although that might of been due in no small part to the early stages of Alzheimer's!
 
 
 
In 2012 the best book I've possibly ever read came my way. Last Man In Tower by Aravind Adiga was quite litterally, brilliant. A common tale of the world we live in. A world where money and possesions are put before happiness and well-being. And a world where people who purport friendship can sometimes be the first in line to stab you in the back! Serious stuff, but expertly written.
 
In May - Hobbling [walking stick in hand] across the cobbles of Moscow's Red Square, seeing the vibrant colours of St Basil's Cathedral and spending a couple of evenings feeding my passion for the arts at the world famous Bolshoi Theatre were, as you'd probably agree, all at the top of the list.... until October. The sale of an old mobility scooter meant monies were freed up for a few days sightseeing in London and a jolly good time was had. The final evening was crowned by what can only be universally described as: The greatest performance of Swan Lake - ever!! 
 
In 2012 I'd been lucky enough to rack-up a total of 8 trips to the theatre with 3 of them being for Swan Lake - the ultimate love story. Yes I know, I'm just a big softy under this hard, rugged, macho, wrinkled exterior. Ahem, anyway..... back to the story. Right...okay. This was something special, something I'd been waiting to see for many years. World Number 1, Marianela Nunez playing the role of: Odile/Odette at The Royal Opera House here in London. More often than not, people or things you really wish for rarely live up to expectations, but this far exceeded anything I could of hoped for, x10. It was soo good I almost wished I hadn't seen it, because I quickly realised it's now doubtful that I'll ever see a performance delivered with such power, perfection and passion ever again.
 
 But that doesn't mean I won't keep trying in 2013 :)
 
Simply the best. Bravo!!!
 
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment